Sunday, March 15, 2009

Worn Out in His Service...

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and I really lived."

I love this quote that I found on a friends blog. It expresses the feelings I have about really living my life as a Mother so in the end I have given all I have to give and I can arrive at those gates, worn out in His service. It reminds me to focus on what matters most in life.

side note: I don't mind if my toenails are painted when I get there. :)

3 comments:

  1. Our houses don't have to be super clean, either, right??????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think about it you only have your kids for 18 years or so out of 70 or 80 years of our lives here. There will be time for primping later:) Now is the time for playing on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute quote, but I always enjoy a nice pedicure now and then too;) We live in California near LA county, so that park is a bit far from you guys;) Its been too hot here though too soon. Its jumped from the 70's to the mid 80's, and being hugely pregnant, it makes it feel like 100. My mom always yells at me when I complain about the warmth though. She doesn't want to hear any of it.

    ReplyDelete